Asthma 401 is our training course for asthma educators. The course size is limited to only 15 persons – register now to avoid disappointment.
Asthma 401 is a live course taught by phone. It runs for 8 weeks. Classes are held by teleconference once a week in the evenings, with each class lasting for 2 hours.
Graduates of Asthma 401 may audit the updated course for $290.
Tuesdays (for 8 weeks)
To be announced
8 pm – 10 pm EST
5 pm – 7 pm PT
While first and foremost a training course for asthma educators, Asthma 401 also provides excellent preparation for the Certification examination. It covers all the topics in the NAECB study matrix, and is based on the NHLBI Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR3) guidelines.
If you’re already an Asthma 401 graduate
Asthma 401 is constantly updated. If you are an Asthma 401 graduate, you can audit this course for just $290. You will receive the new lecture slides, listen to the lectures and participate in the class discussions, but will not receive the textbooks, workbooks and binder.
Asthma 401 covers both the medical and teaching skills you need to become a good educator. It also includes every topic needed for the certification examination. Course topics include:
- Asthma and its pathophysiology
- Measures of assessment and monitoring
- Classification of severity and control
- Differential diagnoses
- Control of asthma triggers
- Asthma medications and the patient
- Asthma medication devices and how to teach patients to use them
- Co-morbidities of asthma including rhinitis, sinusitis, GERD, ABPA, etc.
- Asthma and pregnancy
- Handling an asthma exacerbation
- Devising an Asthma Action Plan
- Age-related problems in asthma
- When to refer patients to a specialist
- Teaching techniques
- Methods for educating the patient with asthma
- Identifying psychosocial factors, socio-economic problems and educational needs
- How to teach patients of different age-groups
- How to plan a teaching session and what to teach
- Outcomes measurement – evaluating your educational efforts